AFRICA NEEDS AFRICANS NOW MORE THAN EVER; EYC DISTRIBUTES PALLIATIVES TO THE POOREST OF THE POOR, AGED AND WIDOWS AS IT RECEIVES SUPPORT FROM IIMSAM AND INTERNATIONAL ORGANISATION FOR HUMANITARIAN RELIEF
- The current global pandemic now endemic in Africa, COVID-19, calls for serious concerns and support for the needy. Especially at moments where there is lockdown with the need for further extension.
- Today 23rd April, following EYC core values, which is a course for human existence, we engaged in regional humanitarian services for the benefits of humanity and to save lives.
- Across the Member States of EYC, we have directed all our members to collaborate with the government within their various countries and other humanitarians ready to support in line with the little EYC has provided.
- Nigeria is the country of His Excellency Ambassador Ologun William Seun Emmanuel, the chairperson of EYC was not left out of the clarion call for humanitarian service.
- His excellency today, partnering with international humanitarian; Ambr. Samson O. Bolarin, ECOWAS youth council (EYC) ambassador and also designated ambassador representing IIMSAM in the Federal Republic of Nigeria, IIMSAM an Inter-Governmental Organisation Observer to the UN-ECOSOC placed smiles on the faces of over 750 people in Nigeria.
- The first phase of the relief was marked to begin in Southern Nigeria. South West region haven being badly hit by COVID-19 received the first attention.
- Across the six states in Western Nigeria, Ekiti state(Ikere)
Ondo state(Akure, Oda and Emiloro)
Lagos state (Okokomaiko)
Ogun state (Ijebu mushin)
Osun State (Owena)
Oyo state (Adgbayi area of Ibadan) the relief materials and palliatives were shared.
- Basic beneficiaries as mapped out across the six states including the poorest of the poor, aged, and widows.
- EYC equally with the aid of health experts and members of the NVG COVID-19 organization in some of the States visited as well as other private medical youth volunteers, engaged in massive sensitization in local dialects to ensure maximum understanding of COVID-19.
- As a responsible council, we wish to call on the attention of well-meaning Africans across boards to see a need to support Africa. Africa needs Africans now more than ever.
- With the commitment of young, energetic, and able-bodied youths in Africa who are ready to be effective tools to sensitize and ready to join the advocacy for hygienic lifestyle, we are optimistic that the predictions on the terrible hit of the virus in Africa can be contained. But government and private organizations and persons have a lot to do to support these teeming youths.
- It’s imperative to appreciate the front line fighters of COVID-19. Our health workers who day in day out are putting in so much effort and courage to confront death.
- Today, we received shocking news in West Africa, Nigeria about the increase in health workers responding positively to COVID-19. Amidst these challenges health workers in Africa has demonstrated patriotism than any nation of the world. Thank you. EYC recognizes your efforts.
- We appeal to all Africans to follow laid down health tips by government and relevant agencies. We insist that personal hygiene, social distancing, healthy lifestyle would do more to save Africans and the world at large from this pandemic.
- In conclusion, we once again appreciate the donations of Ambr. Samson O. Bolarin, leadership and members of EYC, other partnering groups for believing in the sound, resonating visions of EYC under the distinguished leadership of the Chairperson; His Excellency Ambr. Ologun William Seun Emmanuel. Together we will triumph COVID-19 and see it end.
Thank you and God bless.
Ambr. Ojo Bright I ENIAFE
Director Of Public Affairs
West Africa (ECOWAS) Youth Council